Stitches Conference 2018: Japanese Crochet




Stitches West conference was is held this week and every year at the Santa Clara Convention Center.  This year I took classes and I want to share with you what I learned.

It's not to often I'm able to catch a class where I'm challenging myself with new techniques in crochet and knitting, so when I can I attend.- I DO!

One of the classes I attended was Learn Japanese Crochet. I made sure to arrive early to not just get good parking but to get a good seat. The instructor was Gayle Roehm, who translates Japanese patterns into to English for a few publications.  She is also very talented in crochet.

This has been a craft I have been admiring for a very long time and was so excited to get into the class. Yay!!!!

Gayle's class give so a lot of insight into Japanese designing, not only because she studied there patterns, but also lived there for a number of years. Her time living in Japan is what initial got her to want to learn this technique. I would highly recommend learning from her if you were to get the chance. 

Now I will be honest, Japanese crochet is not the easiest to understand but once it's translated you can start to pick it up. I would recommend this to those that have worked several crochet patterns and feel a good amount of confidence in "filling in the blanks", per say. Gayle provided a great amount of translation along with additional crochet details, but there is still some missing details that you have fill in based on your experience.  It's not difficult.

She started by outlining the class with stitch abbreviations, language translations, layouts of the pattern, and designer concepts.  She also handed out a couple of patterns that we could work on in addition to the number of swatch examples. This gave us a little practice while getting the opportunity to ask her questions.

She also give book references, pattern suggestions, internet sites location free patterns, group forums to follow, and showed several items she herself had made.

I have to say I find  Japanese crochet much more detailed then American.  Why?  I think they really take the time to create intricate items which leads to needing extra details for us to understand.  I'm so amazed at the talent of the Japanese designers. You don't find patterns like these in American or Britain.  I asked "Why is this Gayle?".  She was not completely sure but she did say they learn both crochet and knitting early and with using both skills we thought that maybe this is why they are so detailed with their work.  Every piece is amazingly designed with such details that results in am elegant item.

I'm happy to say I will start working the shawl pattern she gave the class and will share once completed. I walked away learning much more than I thought I would and have the courage to work my first project.  I realize I will need to take this slow and pay attention to all the notes.

If this encourages you to try Japanese crochet I would love to hear from you. 

Watch for my next blog posts where I will be sharing the Tunisian Crochet in the Round class I took, the Stitches market experience and the projects I purchased.

If you have question about Japanese Crochet or want details about Stitches please contact me. I'm happy to share what I know.

Happy Crocheting!!

Comments

Hi Jodi! I just found your page. I did not know the theme was Japanese crochet this year, I wish I had taken the time to come! But I am making the Yashi Bag. I am looking forward to your future posts about the conference!



Popular Posts