Coboo Lion Brand Yarn Review


Are you tired of working with wool yarn? Have you been looking for a softer yarn to work with? Then I've got to share with you about this yarn and I think you're going to like.  Coboo Lion Brand Yarn.

On my latest adventure to JoAnn's I found this brand.  Now I can't say how long it's been out because I feel like I missed this one. Either way I did find it and of course I had to work with it.

The main reason I picked this yarn is because I keep hearing people asking to work with other than wool yarns.  I get it.  So I picked up three balls of Coboo not really knowing at the time what I would do with it.  The colors just popped for me and then to learn that it comes in 12 different colors.  I picked steel blue and tan.  I worked up a crochet cowl with both colors and would be happy to do it with the other colors too.  Why? The way the yarn feels is like silk but it's actually cotton and rayon from bamboo.  You get 232 yard per ball and it's listed at a DK #3 weight yarn.

A big win with this yarn is that it is both washable and dryable. Wow! So nice to find a yarn you can toss in the washer. Now I would always recommend hand washing any handmade item. Hand washing is a better guarantee it will last. But I will be testing this in the washer.

Now let me cover a big dislike about this yarn.  Not every yarn is perfect and it can be a matter of you wanting to deal with the cons. This is not a spun yarn, meaning it's loosely weaved so the yarn can split easily.  You need to keep tension on the yarn as you work or you will be splitting and pulling the threads.  I usually don't care for yarns like this but the feel and look of the yarn took over.

Keeping the tension through out each stitch may be a struggle for some but I believe if you focus on your stitch until you feel how the yarn works you will do fine. As I mentioned, the feel and look of the yarn is so silky that it made me want to keep working with it. I encourage you to try it out for yourself. And like all of my reviews I'd love to know what you think once you have worked with it.  Be it good or bad, it's good for the reader to hear from other than me.

I mentioned earlier that I created a pattern with this yarn and I now want to share it with you.  I made this cowl with 1 1/2 balls of the Coboo.  The great thing is you can lengthen or shorten this pattern, meaning you can use just 1 ball and get a beautiful cowl.  I elected to go a little longer since I like it bulky around my neck. You could also go longer depending how chunky you like to wear a cowl. Options, don't you love that?

I used a 4mm hook as I worked single crochet and puff stitches throughout the cowl.  By using this hook my cowl measured out as 10 1/2 by 13 1/2.   Gauge 16 sc x 24 rows=  4 inches.

Start off by chaining 84 and join in the round making sure not to twist the chain.

Note: Each joining in the round you will do turning chain (s) and your first stitch in the first stitch of previous row. 

Pattern Stitch is Puff Stitch: yo, insert into stitch, yo and pull up through the stitch to length of DC, yo and insert and pull of a loop, continue until you have 11 loops on the hook, yo and pull through 10 loop to have two loops left, yo and pull through last two loops.

Row 1: Ch 1, SC into first stitch and in all stitches across, sl st to join  = 84 SC
Row 2 -3: repeat Row 1 =84 sc
Row 4: chain 3, sk 1st SC, work puff stitch in next st.  *Ch1, skip st, puff stitch in the next*, repeat  across, sl st in top of first puff stitch to join.  (slipping in the top of the puff stitch joins the round nicely and gives an almost seamless look.  = 42 puff stitches
Row 5: Ch 1, *SC in top of puff stitch, SC in ch stitch*, repeat across and sl st to join.
Row 6: Ch1, SC in the location as your previous sl st, SC in each stitch across =84 sc, sl st to join.
Row 7: Repeat Row 6
Row 8: Repeat Row 4
Row 9 - 11: Repeat Rows 5-7
Row 12 - 48: Repeat Rows 4 - 7 (9 times)
Row 49 - 51: repeat Rows 5 -7
Finish off and weave in your ends

I hope you enjoyed this pattern and if so please let me know in the comments below.  If you also have questions please ask me here and I'm happy to answer them.

Don't forget to share your thoughts on the yarn.

Happy Crocheting!
                                           

Comments

Popular Posts