Memories of Crochet


My memories of crochet began with my grandmother. She started me crocheting in my early teens. I remember the evening I started to crochet in her home sitting in her chair. She had me work on chaining until I got a good tension on the yarn.

I remember that chaining being several feet long. I was determined to get it. From there I began projects. I remember the day she gave me a number of crochet pattern books. I was not excited do to the fact they were really "old" patterns. Not cool I thought at the time. Had I only known I had a box of vintage patterns. I would love to have those today.

As years past she would crochet from time to time and the last blanket she made she gave to me. It took me back to that day I chained for miles sitting in her chair. I still have the blanket today.

Unfortunately, she has developed dementia. Sadly she does not crochet anymore, nor does she do other crafts that she once did. But from time to time she does remember teaching me. Just a couple of years ago I made a blanket for her. She keeps it on her bed though at times she can't recall who has given it to her. But then she finds the tag with my name on it.

I'm not sure why but this week I have thought a lot about the blankets we exchanged and wanted to share it with you. Her blanket is the one of many beautiful bright colors, and mine is the black, grey and white one.

I would love to hear your stories about a craft you have learned. If it be crochet, knitting, cross stitching, or any other craft. Tell me your story.

Comments

Popular Posts