Tackling Tough Patterns

Pattern reading can be a challenge for anyone. You don't have to be a beginner to struggle. Each new pattern I start I give myself time to sit down and read it. We can all miss things the first, second or even the third time we've read.  
I worked with someone today on a pattern that appeared easy until we started. I worked with her for a few minutes and realized that I needed to look at this by myself in order to understand what the designer was saying. After a few minutes I saw immediately what we had missed. Again, it goes back to that lesson: read, read, and read again.

TIP 1: Break down the pattern.  Look at each row and break it down.

TIP 2: Use a post-it note or highlighting portions. As you are working your project use the post-it note and move it down each line worked so you are not distracted by the words below or above.

TIP 3: Take your time.

TIP 4: Practice the first few rows before using the yarn you purchased for the project. This will reduce frustrations later.

And if all else fails, toss the pattern. NO! I'm joking. Contact me and let me see how I can help.




Comments

Popular Posts