San Diego Yarns: Apricot Yarn and Supplies




San Diego, California, a place of sun, fun and yarn!! I was actually there to attend a conference for the week. Every trip I take I do my best to check out the local yarn stores. This trip was no different.

With luggage in hand I went straight to the yarn store. Seriously, I did.  I'm sure a few people were wondering if I had plans to load my bag up with yarn. If only I could have.  Now the reason for going straight from the airport to the store was because I knew checking in at the hotel was not for a few hours and I didn't want to lose this opportunity to shop.


Apricot Yarns and Supplies is located in a really cool area called Liberty Station.  A variety of shops and restaurants are here. This made it a great location for me to shop, eat and chill out. Definitely, a place to check out on your trip.

Once arriving at the shop I explained why my bags were in hand.  I do think the owner was pleased I stopped at her shop first.  She was very pleasant and gave me the quick 411 on the shop.

The shop opened up just 2 years ago. Talk about a sweet shop.  I loved the open space which gives you room to check out each display of yarn. Yarns were grouped by local yarns, brand yarns and supplies. What struck me the most was the wall dedicated to local yarn dyers. An entire wall full of beautifully colored hand dyed yarns. It's so important to support other small business.


As you look around the shop further you see lovely pattern samples displaying the yarns to get a better understand of how it shapes, drapes and feels.  I did  in fact find a few new yarns I have not tried before and also purchased a new set of knitting needles from my favorite brand. It's my goal to pick up one or two balls of a new yarn I think I will like. I usually work up a small piece such as a cowl, a hat or a pair of gloves.  I'll share later in this post what I purchased.

Next to the windows is a big table to sit and knit where class are held and conversation are had. The owner has a sweet story about how and why she started her shop. The name, Apricot Yarns, came from a childhood memory.  To read more about the owners story you can always check out her website.

I could have truly spent more time here. I recommend stopping by first chance you get.  The shop was clean and organized, has a great location and the staff was very helpful.


I'm looking forward to working up a small shawl and cowl with the yarns I purchased.  I picked up Appalachian organic cotton yarn in two shades that will complement each other in the crochet shawl.  The other two balls are Concept by Katia yarns which is a cotton-merino.  These two are in two shades of pink that I'll use in a knit cowl.  I'll share what I worked up in a future post and let you know my thoughts on the yarn.  The colors are amazing and so soft to the touch.

Let me know if you enjoyed this post and if you have plans to check out this store. I believe it's worth the stop.  Also note I am not affiliated or paid to say these words about the store. I just truly enjoyed my shopping experience and want to share it with others.  Let me here from you.











Comments

Popular Posts