Learning Seamless Crochet


This year I participated in one of the class events at Stitches West 2012.  I selected, Kristen Omdahl ‘s class, Seamless Crochet.   Being a big fan of hers I could not pass up an opportunity to learn her techniques.  I own a couple of her books and her DVD.  This class gave me the chance to finally fully understand the Seamless Crochet technique. 

The class was a 3 hour  and you received hands on experience in working the technique.  Kristin pulled patterns straight from her latest book, Seamless Crochet.  This book is packed with amazing patterns.  One quick note this book is not for beginners but once you have the understanding of basic crochet and have worked motifs, give it a try. 

The pattern reading alone is a bit of a challenge but Kristin was able to lay it out clearly in the class.  It took some concentration.  As you can see there is a lot of work involved in this pattern. 

After working the first row of the chart pattern I thought, “I got this”.  Then the next row came.  Now this is the real challenge.  Understand where to slip stitch the pieces together. 

Now that the first pattern is complete it was time to stretch, bathroom break, and then tackle the next pattern.  As you can see I just got started on the second pattern but found this one even more elegant than the last but still a challenge.  You really have to pay attention to what you are doing.  This is not a pattern to do while watching TV.  At least not until you really understand what you are do. 

I could not get over how friendly and personable Kristin was.  What a great teacher!  She knew how to explain the technique in a way that would assist anyone working it.  Being a teacher myself it was great to see what I could learn from her.  Crochet has been with me for a very long time and to get the chance to learn under someone with this skill level what exciting.   I could not resist asking to take a picture with her.  I'm a big fan. 

Kristin also represents a new yarn company in Elbert, CO.  The company, Bijou Basin Ranch.  She showed us what she has made with this beautiful yarn.  I will share more about this yarn in my next post along with other great things I found at Stitches West.

I'm looking forward to next year already and hope you will check it out as well.  
 



Comments

Popular Posts