How Importance is Spring Cleaning?

Every year you hear the saying, "spring cleaning".  It's the time of year that we go through our home, our office, and our cars to get rid of the old and get organized.  It's a chore and a time consuming one at that.

This year I challenged myself when it came to my office area.  Being a designer and a teacher I have a lot of yarn.  I mean a lot of it.  Keeping it organized is a huge task.  On top of that I need to work in this area and hold my classes so it is truly important to get it organized and clear out the old.

See what I had to tackle (pictured on the left).   It was a mess.  How did I work in this?   Funny thing is I knew where everything was and could go right to it.  You are thinking, "no way".  Very hard to believe.

Please know I am not this messy. Really I'm not. But I think with everything I had I never tackled it as it came in the front door.  Which is tip number 1: never just put something down without knowing exactly where it should go.   This is how things start to get out of hand.  

Here I am beginning to sort it all out. (see pic)  What you see on the floor was just the beginning. But the great thing is I had a mission and knew where I was headed.  A clean and organized area.  Tip number 2: I purchased a number of pop up boxes at JoAnn's and organized my yarn by type in each box.  Each box had a tag that listed the yarn that was in the box.  I started with simple hanging tags but later saw a picture on Pinterest that had a cloth pin glued to the front of the box where you could make a list of the contents and clip it right on the box.  (great idea I thought, but I'm not there yet).

I was amazed that I was able to get all my yarn in these boxes and my shelf had enough slots for these boxes. Now, I'm not saying I won't need more boxes in the future. But my goal is to stick to the space I have. Which leads me to tip number 3:  Utilize what you have and don't exceed it. If you don't have the space you need then purge.  And purge is what I did.  I found a number of balls of yarn that I've not used nor want to use. So I will donate those and keep only what I need and will use.  We can get carried away with our purchases and I am weak when it comes to yarn.  I see a yarn that I like and I know I will create a design to use it.  So I think.

This took me 3 days, three full days of cleaning, purging, sorting, and organizing.  I sneezed through the dust I encountered and grabbed a box of kleenex so I would not stop. But I am glad to say I did it!  I love my new work area.  I enjoy being in this room and I have challenged myself to keeping this room organized.





I challenge you to tackle that closet, or bedroom, or your kids room that needs spring cleaning.   If any of my tips helps, let me know.  If you have tips please share.

It's hard to get motivated in doing such a daunting task but when you accomplish it you will be so much happier and proud of yourself for the hard work you put into it. And guess what, you don't have to tackle it again until next year.  And even then it won't be so bad if you stick to keeping it organized.

Comments

Popular Posts