Yarn Kits? What Do I Think.



Have you been working a lot of the same projects? You know what I mean.  Maybe you have worked 4 ponchos over the last year or maybe a scarf for each family member.  Either way you have had enough and want something new and more challenging.

I to get that way. I'm always wanting to learn something new and challenging so I can share with you. Just like the 10 projects I have sitting in front of me right now.

Have you considered a yarn kit? There are a lot of postings, advertisements and emails coming to us about yarn kits.  Some offer an all in one package for you to start something new, like a sweater. I'm currently working two right now.

I wanted to share with you what I have experienced so far.  Don't get me wrong I think yarn kits are great and can be lots of fun.  That is....

With the kits I have purchased I have already learned a couple of things I wanted to share. First off, not all the information was given and I was left to figure it out.  Some kits provide you with all the tools, which is great, but I've found some missing details. Yep, those details. What do I mean?  The one I'm looking at suggested working a gauge to determine your size. Ok, great, I understand that, but they give no size references in the pattern.  I had to go back to the site and hunt for those details. This could cause someone to just give up because of the additional steps here.

Second, I have one that writes the pattern up in stitch sections verses rows.  It will tell you to do a specific stitch pattern and then tells you to repeat for "x" number of times and then work the next stitch "x" number of times.  They do offer a chart but the print out doesn't align the charts on the correct page. So you have a page with description but the charts is on another page making it hard to follow.  How did I figure this out?  I had to read it over, over, over and over again. They do offer a tutorial on their site, yet that only shows one of the stitches and not more of the entire pattern. What ever! I'll figure it out, I always do. And that is where I find my challenge.  Anyone else might toss it aside and never reach for it again.

Next, let talk about the yarn you get.  The yarn looked really pretty on the site and the description sounds wonderful. When you get the yarn you don't like it, it splits, and the texture doesn't feel as soft as it looked.  But now you have it, the pattern, and you spent the money. You have got to try.

My point to all this, is really take the time to research yarn kits. See what people are saying on social media.  Oops, I said the words, "social media".  We can't escape it so dive right in, but feet first. People give reviews. Also see what their money back guarantee is if you don't like what you see or you discover the pattern is much more advanced then your ability. Don't be shamed of that. Seriously, this is money you are paying, get your moneys worth.

There's usually a way you can sample their yarns before buying. Believe it or not a lot of businesses will send you samples. They are usually a couple of yards worth but enough to see and sample it. If they don't advertise yarn samples; it doesn't hurt to ask.

Lastly, maybe even team up with a friend and the both of you work the pattern together. A girlfriend of mine, who use to live close by, we would get together and do exactly that.  Any time we found a new pattern we wanted to try.  Of course, competition came into play to see who could finish it first. It really helped us to tackle the project.

Bottom line, take your time when purchasing and read the pattern many times before starting. If you need feedback just ask me to see if I've tried the product or not.

I would love to get your  feedback on this post.  And if you have tried a yarn kits let me know your thoughts on it.

I will be giving a complete review on the two kits I'm currently working.  I can share with you now that I'm not 100% happy at this point. Stay tuned for the final grade.


Happy Knitting and Happy Crocheting!!


Comments

Popular Posts