Local Yarn Stores on California's Peninsula




This is the month we celebrate local yarn stores. What this means is you want to visit your yarn store and support the small business.

If you live on the California Peninsula over the past ten years you have seen a number of great yarn stores close after being in business for years.  Maybe the owner was ready to retire, maybe the recession resulted in their close, or rent went up.   Whatever the reason we miss them.

April is celebrate LYS (local yarn stores) in your area. If you are a crafter you know how important it is to keep these businesses open.  The only way to do that is shop and shop as often as we can.  Now this doesn't mean you have to buy something for yourself each time you go in, though this is tempting. A gift card is aways great to give to someone as a thank you or a birthday gift.  Yarn stores are known to carry great bags, tool kits, needle sets, buttons, and more.  Maybe you know someone who would enjoy such a gift.

Lets show our appreciation by visiting one this month. April 27 is the official day to support local yarn stores but a lot run great offers all month.

Here are a few of my favorite shops on the Peninsula. Let me start with The Royal Bee in Pacifica. I happen to stumble on this gem in the fall of last year when my husband and I were out for a weekend drive.  I learned the shop had only been open for about a year at the time. The owner was working and showed me around the store. She let me know the classes she offered and events she held.  I ended up spending close to two hours there. And of course, found some amazing yarns. 

The shop had a very creative decor with paintings on the walls, hand painted by her husband and the layout of the store was open and colorful.  There is an purple couch and chandlers hanging.  Go by and check this one out.

In Half Moon Bay you will find Fengari which has been around for years.  Located in a great downtown area with several shops, bakeries, and restaurants.  Fengari's staff is friendly and helpful. On one of my resent trips I was disparate to locate a yarn I had been using and learned they were out. After learning the yarn was discontinued the staff took the time to search online to find where I might get a few skeins.  You will find a vast amount of yarn in all fibers and colors here.  They have a great needle selection and carry the latest yarn patterns.

In South San Francisco you will find Cottage Yarns. This is a small place but packed with every yarn you can think of. Yarns from floor to ceiling.  The owner takes advantage of every inch of space. It's more of a warehouse feel then a yarn shop. You won't find a knitting circle here but you will find lots of options on patterns and yarns.  I usually call ahead if I'm looking for a specific yarn and every time they have come through for me.  It's a husband and wife team that help you out.  This is where you want to truly stock up on your stash.

If you are heading further south down 101 you hit Los Altos to find Uncommon Threads in a quant downtown area where you could spend the day. This town has a lot to offer.  The store has been around a while but over the past 6 or 7 years a new owner took over. She did a great job at redesigning the shop.  I was there last fall and found the staff fun and knowledgeable.  Unique yarns and more. Go and spend the day.

I have a heart for small businesses and you know I'm am one and find it so important to support them. If you want to continue creating those amazing projects you want to show support to these shops.  I know there are wonderful online shops that may even offer great deals that a small company can't. But you're not going to get the hands on help and experience.

I hope you take the time to visit your local yarn store this month and if I have helped you find one or encouraged you to support your shops let me know by commenting below. Hey, if you have been to these shops share your experience below. 

Happy shopping!!

Comments

Popular Posts