Stitches West Product Review



Were you there? I was!!! I could not miss it. 

I was really struggling this year because I knew I didn't need more yarn because I have so much that I could open a store.  Let's be honest, when you go to Stitches you are surrounded by beautiful and elegant yarns that are very very tempting. I didn't think I had the strength to refrain from purchasing more. I also knew that there would be new tools to check out, so what was I to do.

I was on the fence until the very last minutes.  This means I did not buy my ticket to the market until the morning of. Yep, nothing like last minute in my book. I will be real, I did not want to miss out. Truly! I'm a teacher, a designer, and how could I not go.  Come on!!

Now that I went and I am so glad. I can say I am up to date on what is out there and what some of the cool tools are. I want to give you my pros and cons on the items I purchased and a few items I passed on. I will confess, I bought yarn. How could I not!

Lets get started on my first purchase, then things I passed on, and I will wrap this up with my favorite item.

I will remind you that I have a great love for yarn and bags. I can't get enough. I purchased both as I mention so lets start with yarn. I got a kit with Woolfolk which is the softest merino wool I have ever touched. This kit came with a cowl pattern that I'm currently working. Watch me on Instagram (@jpaveydesigns) to see my progress.  I also purchased Berroco Medina cotton and acrylic blend yarn (37% cotton/36% Acrylic/27% Viscose). It has an amazing blended variegation that I will work up with Valley Yarns Southwick that I got in two colors that will work up nicely with the Medina. None of these yarns have I used before.  This gives me the perfect excuse to buy it. LOL. I'm sticking to my excuses.

I am enjoying how the Woolfolk works up for this cowl pattern and the color of the Median and Southwick are amazing, yes? Southwick has a silky feel to it which I belive is the bamboo in it.  (52% Pima cotton 48% Bamboo Viscose)


Now for bags! Oh how I love them and can't get enough. My husband rolls his eyes every time he sees a new one and I can't blame him.  What makes it great is the smile on my face when he sees it.  He has come to understand me.




First off is the Monarch Yarn bag. It comes in two sizes and a variety of colors. I got the bigger one and glad I did.  This will hold a much larger project and even if it's a small project I can get more then one in there.  Two side pockets are handy for my keys and phone.  The handle is the selling point. The way you can pull one loop into the other and carry it with one strap is amazing.  I actually used this to carry all my goodies from Stitches.

Then I went into the their booth. WOW!! Monarch Yarns had a great booth with a variety of cool yarns, patterns, bags, candles and more.  All of this is sold in their store and online. Yes, online shopping ladies. My fav!!! They are located in Monterrey, CA and if you get this chance go!! Can't say enough, seriously.  Staff is awesome!

The bag shopping is just getting started.  Next was Jimmy Beans Wool and Namesta.  Jimmy Bean acquired Namesta and so glad they did.  Namesta creates a number of different bags and Jimmy Bean is taking them to a new level. There are many bags I will be going back to get. New spring color backpacks come out in two weeks. I put their backpack on my wish list. What I purchased was their project bags that have the snap closer. I love these because I can get the project and yarn in there and no zipper to snag my projects. Boy has that happened with other bags. No good.  These bags come in different colors. Now for the Namesta Buddy Case. I have wanted one of these for a little while and after checking it out I went for it. These come in two sizes and I got the larger one. It holds circular needles, crochet hooks, scissors, makers and more. The best feature is the magnetic backing on both sides. Wow! No need to worry about my scissors falling out again.


Ok, lets break this up and let me share the "no go" item. The interchangeable crochet hook. What?! Now I know I have heard of these but never got my hands on it to see if it really worked.  Bad news, no!!  Very disappointed because I would be all over this tool if it in fact worked. Some of the hooks switched out easily and you could completely close the attachment but others (the smaller hooks) did not complete fit into the handle and did not secure nicely. In fact the yarn would snag as you worked. I spend 10 minutes playing to get all the hooks to fit but no dice.  Hmm, maybe they can work on that and if they do get it perfected - I'm in.  Until then....




Now for the item that is beneficial to all who knit and help improve your skills. It's a light called Daylight. They come in desk top and stand alone style.  I liked that you could used this solely as a light OR flip the lid and have a magnifying lens. YES!!!! Being real here, it helps.  I'm currently working on tiny knitting needles and that magnifying lens could help.  The stand seem pretty durable and the height I felt was perfect. They light had three different settings. We all need good lighting when working.



I found Jimmy Beans has the most amazing needles thus far.  OMG!!! They are great. Now I actually heard about them last year but I don't feel they got as much exposure as they deserved. So I will shine a little more light on them.  They are SmartStix needles. Now here is the amazing part. They have a build in ruler. YES!!! No more carrying around a tape measure or ruler, it's build in.  WOW!!! Right?  But it gets even better.  They make the ruler on the crochet hook too. Boom!! Sold.  The needles are smooth metal and your yarn runs smoothly over the needle to the cable which is a deal break for me. If it sticks and you have to push and pull your loops - no good. The yarn loops just drape onto the cable. I purchased my favorite size, 10US. I purchases 4 and 5 mm crochet hooks.  I have been working with them ever since. Great tools!


I could go on and on about Stitches but I will continue with this statement.  If you have not attending this conference yet, you have got to. Yarns from all over the world are shown here and you can count on the latest and great tools, patterns, and techniques. As you can tell I can't pass up this event.

For my final product purchase, saving the best for last, it one more bag. Yes!! I don't know how I have lived without it.  This is the Della Q cinch bag.  In two weeks you can get this bag in a larger size. I got the current size, small, and I'm crazy about it.  Organization is a priority to me this year.  I have piles of yarn, needles, hooks, scissors and more all over the house. Come on, don't you? With this bag I can store my project and take it anywhere. Every thing I need can be in this bag. You just pull the string and all is gather up, snap and go. I need more of theses. I have so may projects going on and to have every project organized would be a blessing.

\]

I hope that you have found this information helpful and it gave you an insight into what was at Stitches West. There was so much more so I encourage you to check it out next year.

Leave me a comment if you were at one of the Stitches event and you purchased something.. What did you buy? What did you think of the event? Will you return? Would LOVE to hear from you.

If you didn't catch my Facebook Live review you can go to my page and catch the replay. I talk about one more item that I did purchase and love.  Go check it out.

Comments

Popular Posts